CHRIS COOPER'S BLOG - infrequent forays into fun, freedom, fysics and filosophy...


Remove the numerals from the following to contact me directly:

chris1-cooper2
@ntlworld.com



























 
Archives
<< current













 
Liberty links
... feel free

David Friedman
free-market.net
Samizdata.net
Transport Blog
Freedom and Whisky
Natalie Solent
Dodgeblog
Biased BBC
The Liberty Log
Brian's EDUCATION Blog
Dynamist.com

The world in a grey brick
... for the Psion 5mx, greatest of PDAs
3-lib
Psion Place
Phil Spencer's Psion Page
FoxPop
Organizer4you
Psion pages of Sergio Alisi
Huub Linthorst's programs
TuCows EPOC site
Pascal Nicolas' freeware
Paul Dunkel's repair guide

The human mind
... evidence for its existence
Human Nature Review
Richard Dawkins
Steven Pinker

Data hygiene
... the truth is in here

Statistical Assessment Service
Urban Legends Archive
JunkScience.com
Number 2 Pencil

A foreign country
... my past, where they do things differently

Imperial College Physics class of '66
Peter Symonds email directory
Dan-Dare.net
Peter Symonds Unofficial Nostalgia Corner




























Blogosophical Investigations
 
Thursday, February 12, 2004  

A new road-atlas of hell

Wandering in search of Dan Dare trivia, I came across the site of the Professor of Computer Science in the eponymous Department at the University of York. A typical geek, who atypically pumps out a steady stream of mini-reviews of current reading, predominantly SF. The Prof combines this with an impressive number of research papers, too, if January is anything to go by. In the last couple of months, these reviews were posted (links on the page) :

29 Jan 2004 • Wil McCarthy • The Collapsium
25 Jan 2004 • Laurell K. Hamilton • Narcissus in Chains
15 Jan 2004 • John Meaney • To Hold Infinity
05 Jan 2004 • J. D. Robb • Betrayal in Death
27 Dec 2003 • David Weber, Eric Flint • Crown of Slaves
23 Dec 2003 • Mercedes Lackey • Sun in Glory
22 Dec 2003 • Jane M. Lindskold • Smoke and Mirrors
16 Dec 2003 • Diane Duane • A Wizard Alone
16 Dec 2003 • Marjorie Phillips • Annabel and Curlie
11 Dec 2003 • James H. Schmitz • The Hub: Dangerous Territory


There are millions upon millions of SF links on this sprawling site. I satisfied myself that the Prof is sound on Dan Dare:

For me, SF is like poetry. I love it when I read it. I never read it.

There are delights on these pages that can never tempt me. For example:

Filk is the folk music of the science fiction community. Here are a few examples I've culled from Usenet filk news group, that demonstrate the range, from parodies to original songs, from hilarious to deadly serious.

No, please, ...

I have to own up: I'm victim to a stereotypical image of the SF-loving Trekkie computer geek: the bottle-bottom glasses, thin beard, anorak, filthy trainers, ponytail, keyboard surrounded by cokes and pizzas. I know it misses the mark in this case, because the Prof's name is Susan Stepney. But I couldn't find a picture of her anywhere on her site, so I'm stuck with the image for now.


12:11 AM

Comments: Post a Comment
 
This page is powered by Blogger.